Friday, August 7, 2009

Make your own sew-in fabric labels

TGIF, friends!

Here is an easy project I came up with for labeling my Nutfield Weaver wedding accessories. You can design your own labels with your computer/printer. No embroidery sewing machine required!

Materials:
Colorfast Sew-in Ink Jet Fabric Sheets
iron
computer/ink jet printer
pinking shears




1. Using MS Word, go to the "envelopes/labels" feature on the program and set up a new document for an address label file. I sized mine to fit Avery 8160 labels. Centering the text, I featured my company name, a brief 1 line description, and my website address. Put in your own information and print a sample on paper before proceeding to step 2. Save your file, too.

2. Feed 1 fabric sheet into your ink jet printer. I had to feed mine in fabric side down. Print your file.



3. Let the ink dry, then heat set the ink with a hot, dry iron.

4. Let the sheet cool, and then cut the labels apart. I used pinking shears for a decorative touch. Peel off the paper backing from the labels.




5. Sew your own labels into your lovely handcrafted items.







How easy was that? Have fun with this project. I found Colorfast Sew-In Ink Jet Fabric Sheets at my fabric store, in the quilting notions aisle. You can also visit http://www.junetailor.com/




Have a great weekend, Kate :)

4 comments:

Mikiye Creations said...

What A GREAT Idea!
Thanks for sharing!!!!

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thanks, Mikiye, for looking and for your kind words! Kate :)

Laura Herbertson said...

I did the same thing this weekend. I don't have pinking shears though, that's a good idea.

www.caninedesign.etsy.com

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thanks for your comments, Laura! I'm thinking about adding a little more "punch" to my next set - maybe my avatar or icon or something. Cheers, Kate :)