Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A charming wedding tradition from the Baltics

Hello, friends. I have decided to take a quick break from my weaving projects. I am so excited to be weaving a set of table linens for a client in Sydney, Australia. How cool is that?! They're turning out very nicely -- they are the same design as my "Yuletide Feast" table linens, except they are woven from ivory mercerized cotton.

Lots of knitting going on during the evenings, too. I'm making little mitten ornaments for my boys this year. Here's a picture. Aren't they cute? They measure about 1.5" wide by 2.5" high.



I read about a charming wedding tradition from The Baltics, and all of you knitters out there are sure to love this story. I found the story in Marcia Lewandowski's fabulous book, "Folk Mittens." Here it is:

"Mittens played an important role in traditions of courtship and marriage in the Baltics, particularly in Latvia. A maiden's worth was measured in part by her skill in knitting and by the number of mittens she had made. When a young woman accepted a marriage proposal, she sent her suitor a pair of mittens. He would drape them over his belt as a sign that he was committed."

Off to do some more weaving! I've got a growing queue of requests, which is a good thing.
Be well, Kate :)

No comments: