Thursday, April 22, 2010

Handwoven linen and an Earth Day project

Hello, friends. Happy Earth Day. I plan to head out in a bit and get my onion sets in the ground, which seems like an appropriate thing to do today.

I have been learning how to weave linen. Linen yarn is absolutely NOTHING like any other yarn. It is really a beautiful fiber, and full of interesting history, but it requires patience and fortitude and determination to get it to work. The fiber is very wiry, and it took me quite a while to figure out how to throw the shuttle without having the linen unspool itself from the bobbin and become twisted around the shuttle pin. It washes up really nicely. It just does not make for "fast weaving." Throwing the weft yarn has to be deliberately and carefully done. Anyway, here is a picture of a very simple ring pillow that I made from the linen:



And here is a tiny project I made to celebrate Earth Day. These are repurposed denim rosebud bobby pins:



They were really fun to make. I'm thinking about adding a few more hair accessories to my shop, but these little denim flowers are for me!

Be well, Kate :)

No comments: