Friday, June 11, 2010

Waste not, want not

Hello, friends. TGIF! This has been a very fast week. I hope this finds you well today.

Weavers spend loads of time creating fabrics, and we many of us dislike discarding even the smallest pieces of handwoven cloth. I had a few odds and ends lying around that weren't making much sense to me at first -- they were small, seemingly useless scraps destined for the trashcan. Fortunately, after seeing a picture of my very-pregnant-cousin on Facebook yesterday, I was inspired to try something new and ended up with a handwoven cloth baby block. It is a bit larger than I think I would prefer but I'm going to show you my prototype anyway. Here it is:



A set of three small blocks would be kind of a nice baby gift, don't you think? I used 4" squares to put this block together, but I'm going to experiment with 3.5" squares next and see how those work. The fabric pieces used in the block were woven from 8/2 unmercerized cotton, which is machine washable (a very good thing). In theory, you should get a 3" square block if you start off with 3.5" fabric squares. That is if you don't rush and take care with your seam allowances. Like I said: this is the theory.

I'm going to play in my garden and try to undo the damage that the red squirrels have done to my basil plants.

Have a lovely weekend.
Be well, Kate :)

No comments: