Monday, January 17, 2011

Lemony fresh twill fabric

Hello, friends. Today I finished up warping the loom for new kitchen towels. I graphed out a new design for a simple striped twill. What do you think so far?


I've always been fond of yellow and white in a kitchen; the two colors combine to make such a classic, clean, cheerful look. I tend to favor the twill weaving structure because it ends up having such a nice drape.

Ready for a picture of controlled chaos?
This is what the back of the loom looked like for these towels:


That's a lotta threads, eh?

I was pleased to learn that my spruce waffleweave dishcloths are currently being featured on DIY Network Marketplace! How exciting for the little guys. This is what they look like:



It would be lovely to hear from you, readers!
Enjoy your day and be well,
Kate :)

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Hi Kate I am also a "yellow" lover I think it should also be everywhere along with red. I love your "spruce waffleweave dishcloths" where they hard to make? Very nice thanks for the look=c

tweal said...

I am totally fascinated by this process - it looks confusing but such beautiful results! And how nice that you don't need electricity, that makes me warm and fuzzy inside :)

Nutfield Weaver said...

Hi there! What an interesting question about how to describe the level of difficulty involved in weaving the dishcloths...I will have to ponder this. I've been doing this for so long now that for me, it is not hard, but I'm continually trying to improve as a weaver...Is waffleweave a beginning weaving structure? Not really, as it is a point twill. The hard thing about waffleweave is learning how to calculate shrinkage for each different kind of fiber. Waffleweave fabrics can shrink up to 30%, so here, with the dishcloths, I weave 15" of fabric to get a 10" cloth. (And there is draw-in from left to right, too). Most weavers learn to weave "tabby" or plain weave (under, over, under, over, under, over) first and move onto different structures as time and interest permit!
Great question! Thanks for your comments! They made me smile. :)