Friday, July 29, 2011

Staying organized!

I watched an "Etsy Success" livestream video yesterday. It was hosted by Michelle Ward. It was the first livestream video I'd ever watched. :)

Something really resonated with me and it was about index cards.

Just index cards.

Here's why:
I've been fortunate to watch my Etsy shop receive more traffic. The downside to this is that I frequently have too many irons in the fire.

Am I disorganized? I didn't think so. I have Excel spreadsheets and online calendars and several spiral-bound notebooks floating around between my loom and sewing machine. My problem was this: I wasn't organizing my work in a way that suits me. I am a paper and pen person. I did not grow up with a home computer. I took handwritten notes all the way through graduate school.

I realized yesterday after watching the video discussion that it was OK to rely on an organizational method (paper/pen) that suits my style and abilities. I'm a tactile and visual person and it is no longer enough for me to rely upon a keyboard stroke - or worse - my memory to complete the work that I have in the queue.

So here's the PDF worksheet I came up with to help organize my custom order requests

It is just a simple worksheet. But I think that it will work better for me. In fact, I know it will work better for me. Maybe it will work for you, too.

Tweak as necessary for your own shop.
Be well,
Kate ;)

No comments: