Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sneaky mother muffins

Hello, friends. Many of you know that my husband & I have two teenaged boys. They eat A LOT. Actually, they shovel. There are days when they can't seem to stop eating. To make things even more interesting, they are pretty lazy when it comes to "finding" something to eat. So I make a lot of muffins.


Here is my latest recipe. I snuck in leftover roasted butternut squash (we grew squash this year in the garden & had a pretty good haul) & whole wheat flour & also paid attention to the amount of sugar I put in the batter. (I'm not sure that this trick will fool their tastebuds, but it is worth a try, right?)

Sneaky Mother Muffins
2 eggs
1/2 c. vegetable oil
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
1 c. mashed, cooked squash (1 c. of any sweet squash will do)
1 c. white flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. dried cranberries (or raisins or dried cherries...)

Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray & preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix eggs, oil, brown sugar, vanilla & squash together in a bowl. Next, add the flours, baking powder & salt. Fold in the cranberries or other dried fruit. Spoon batter in muffin cups. I usually get 10-12 muffins. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Easy peasy, right? I suppose you could throw in some chocolate chips, too, to make things very fun and exciting. (Making a mental note here.)

Be well,
Kate

2 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, those muffins look delish! Sneaky Mother Muffins, love the title too!

Like the new look for your blog, kind of country and calming.

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thanks, Martha! I'm sure that this batch of muffins will end up covered in Nutella, despite my efforts at providing healthy snacks. The blog background is a template that "blogger" offers - I kind of liked it. :)