Thursday, October 20, 2011

Something for baby

Hello, friends. Waffleweave is one of my favorite weaving structures. It is so useful in the kitchen. Several of my clients have told me that they have reassigned their "dishcloths" to the bathtub since they are so soft. Between this feedback and the birth of a friend's new baby, I was inspired to use my fluffy waffleweave fabric for a bib.

Here's a picture of the first one:

I lined the bib with cotton batting and backed it with quilter's cotton in a leafy, autumn motif. I like the sage fabric - it would suit boys or girls.

Isn't it sweet? I seem to remember never having quite enough bibs on hand when the boys were babies. I'd love to hear your feedback on this new item -- it is a bit of a leap for me. I'm thinking about making one or two in some brighter colors as well -- when time permits, of course. (And there's NEVER enough of THAT, is there?)

Be well,
Kate

6 comments:

Silvinha said...

Hi Kate, hand weaving, beautiful idea, your blog are great
Silvia
http://tearpiaocupacional.blogspot.com/

MarthaVA said...

Baby bibs - a new mom can never have enough of them. My daughter had her first child 10 months ago and because of a problem with acid reflux, and also with drooling from teething, the baby goes thru a ton of bibs a day. One thing I did for her (I failed at bibs) was I made some diaper table changing pads out of terrycloth I bought, and I lined the inside with PUL. It is available at Joanns on the bolt. Ya might have to ask for it. It is waterproof on one side, and soft on the other. You could use the PUL with the waterproof side on the inside and the soft side be the back of the bib. It's kind of a pain to work with but once you get going, it's ok (it's slippery). Just a thought - that way you would have no leak thru on the bibs, it's washable, and you wouldn't have to use any batting or backing and the woven fabric would be the standout!
Just a thought.....
The bib is beautiful by the way. I'm a fairly new weaver and haven't tried waffle weave - yet. ;-)
Martha

NutfieldWeaver said...

Thank you for the tip, MarthaVA! I didn't know there was such a product out there. A trip to the fabric store is certainly in order. Do give waffles a try - it is so fun to see those "cells" appear in the cloth! Be well, Kate :)

NutfieldWeaver said...

Hello, Silvia! It is nice to meet you! Thanks for visiting my little corner of the Internet. Be well, kate :)

Elena Rosenberg (Tickled Pink Knits) said...

Kate, I think this is a great idea! I've always loved the look of waffle weave, and it seems a perfect fit for a baby item.

By the way, I just took a peek at your shop, and I don't know if you are doing something different about the photos, but everything looks even better than I remember it -- all those fresh vibrant colors and beautiful textures -- fantastic!

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thank you, Elena! I am having fun with the bibs. Friends of ours received one the other night for their new little girl. About the photos --- I put on my big girl panties and dug out the manual for my husband's Canon SLR camera. I am learning slowly how to use it. My 7.1 megapixel point and shoot, although familiar, just wasn't up to snuff for the close-ups, etc... There is always something to learn! :)