Friday, October 21, 2011

Tastes-like-pie winter squash soup

Photo courtesy of Jenny at TheLittleRagamuffin

Hello, friends. We have an abundance of winter squash this year. We grew butternut squash, which performed well. I have a habit of being unable to resist the sugar pumpkins and sunshine squashes at the farmstand and always end up buying a curcubit or two who seemed to need a home. (It is a good thing that winter squashes keep well).

Here is a soup that I made the other day. I started working with a recipe from a cookbook, but didn't have all of the listed ingredients. So I took a leap and devised my own concoction. It turned out wicked good.

"Taste-like-pie Winter Squash Soup"

Ingredients:
About 2 pounds winter squash (roasted, peeled and mashed) (I used "sunshine squash" but a sugar pumpkin or butternut would work)
1 stick butter (cut it in half)
1/3 c. onion (diced)
1/3 c. sweet pepper (diced - red peppers look nice)
1/4 white wine
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. cloves
4 c. chicken stock (vegetable stock will probably work, too)
1/4 c. flour
2-4 T. real maple syrup (put in as much as you see fit)

1) Saute onions and peppers in 1/4 c. butter (half of your stick) until the vegetables soften. Add 1/4 c. white wine and the spices. Simmer for a few minutes.

2) Add chicken stock. Then add the squash. Simmer for about 10 minutes. I pureed the soup with an immersion blender to break up the squash a little bit more.

3) Make a simple roux: melt 1/4 c. butter. Blend melted butter and flour in a small dish. Add the roux to the soup, stirring to make sure the roux is incorporated. Simmer for a few more minutes.

4) Blend maple syrup into the soup. Simmer for a minute or two more. Serve! Add salt & pepper to taste.

We will definitely be growing more winter squash next year! Be sure to visit Jenny's seed shop at The Little Ragamuffin if you're thinking about growing winter squash. Jenny's seeds are wonderful. The calendulas that we grew from her seed supply are STILL blooming!

3 comments:

Heather Rojo said...

I like your version of squash soup because it doesn't call for cream. I can't wait to try it. I'm lactose intolerant and usually avoid squash soup because it usually has dairy. I can easily substitute margarine for the butter here and it should taste great!

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, I rushed to the garden found a perfect squash and made your wonderful soup! Delish! You really must publish a cookbook, this is the second recipe of yours that I have adored. Why to go!

NutfieldWeaver said...

Thank you, ladies! I hope that you can find a way to enjoy some "creamy" pumpkin soup, Heather. (Between Sunnycrest & Mack's the winter squash is superb this year in Londonderry). Martha, you are too kind. I'm glad that you like the soup! I think I'll be making more soon! :)