Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cast iron skillet almond coffee cake

Hello, friends. It has been some time since I posted a recipe, so I thought I would share one of our Christmas breakfast favorites. I obtained the recipe from my mother. I believe that my mother received the recipe from a member of Westmont Presbyterian Church (Johnstown, PA), where my family lived for a short while in the mid-1980s. My husband and I started making this almond coffee cake when our boys were very small and up at a ridiculously early hour on Christmas morning. Being weary parents, we would make this the night before so that breakfast preparations didn't require quite so much effort. It is perfect with a serving of fresh fruit and a strong cup of freshly brewed coffee or tea.


Note: You MUST have a cast iron skillet measuring between 9-11" in diameter.
___________________________________________________________________
Cast iron skillet almond coffee cake

Ingredients
3/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. flour
pinch of salt
1 T. almond extract
a few whole almonds for decorating (optional)
a bit more sugar for dusting the top

Melt butter and add to sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Add flour, salt, and almond extract & mix well (batter will be very thick). Pour batter into cast iron skillet which has been lined with foil. Cover top with almonds & sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake 30-40 minutes in 350 degree oven.

Remove cake from the pan with the foil & when cool wrap tightly in the foil to store.
______________________________________________________________



This cake is rich, sweet, and has a lovely almond flavor. (We really love almonds in our house).

I hope that you try this recipe! Also, what are your holiday meal traditions? Do you have a recipe that you make just about every year? Please share!

Hoping that you all have a peaceful holiday season - however you celebrate.
Be well,
Kate