Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Call me Miss Muffet

Hello, friends. This afternoon I spent some time in the kitchen armed with my new book on home cheesemaking, a gallon of milk, and my fingers crossed. My first batch of ricotta cheese turned out so well that I am positively giddy. My boys came home from school and (as usual) were nosing around for something to eat. They were amazed and perplexed that ricotta cheese could be good enough to eat all by itself! (So was I, actually). I hope that we have enough left for a recipe (I was pondering stuffed shells or calzones). Next up will be some mozzerella and then some chevre.



In addition to my kitchen adventures, I've been working on some custom dishtowels


and studying photographs of old grain sacks. I love the simple, clean lines of these utilitarian fabrics, but for housewares - and in particular, pillows - I can't help think that the coarse fibers used for the weave wouldn't translate into a cozy, comfortable cloth. So there may be some new housewares in the works here as well.

But first I need to figure out how to get my hands on a cheese press.

Be well,
Kate

3 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Cheese press - look at Lehman's Non Electric Catalog. Your cheese looks wonderful, did you use raw milk?

Nutfield Weaver said...

Hi, Martha! I did not use raw milk. We have dairy relatively close by (Contoocook, NH) and they sell pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized) milk, and I've used that in our yogurt for quite a while. I did find plans for a cheese press - a good summer project for my guys. :)

Flyin' Bobbin said...

Have fun with the cheese--I tried to make hard cheeses but couldn't keep them at the proper temperature for long periods of time. So switched to soft but had to stop when I had cholesterol issues. I really enjoyed making them.