Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Grainsack-inspired handwoven cloth

Hello, friends. I was perusing a lovely interior design book that I picked up from the library recently called "Pale & Interesting: Decorating with Whites, Pastels, and Neutrals" by Atlanta Bartlett & Dave Coote. It was a visual treat, and, being handweaver, I tend to zoom in on textiles that they selected throughout the book. They used a lot of "upcycled" pieces made from old grainsacks. The amount of color used in the grainsacks often provided just enough visual interest to provide a pop of color throughout a space.

I like the simple designs of the grainsacks. I also like the history of grainsacks: farmers' wives used to weave the cloth with a signature striped pattern so that their family's sacks of grain could be identified at the mill. Since the patterns were unique, I felt at liberty to design my own "grainsack" pattern. I also felt at liberty to use soft, all-natural fibers for my cloth; 5/2 mercerized cotton weaves up nicely, drapes well, and is cuddly soft. I chose white and nautical blue cottons for this cloth -- the colors seemed summery or, as my son, Nathan, noted, "beachy."

Here is a look at Nutfield Weaver's "grainsack" fabric on the loom:


And here is a table runner made from this cloth:


What fun. I wove enough cloth for some pillow covers, but they're still in the works. The loom is waiting for a new warp - new, custom windowpane plaid dishtowels are next.

Be well,
Kate

2 comments:

Helga Jossen said...

I love your table runner!!! New interpretations of old designs are always so interesting!

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thank you very much, Helga!