Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Building a nest: 101

Hello, friends. Many family members and friends know that I just love birds. I love watching birds, listening to birds, and learning about birds. When I was eight years old I learned that parakeets do NOT grow up to be parrots, which was a bit disappointing, but my love for birds remained.

On Sunday (Mother's Day!) we saw a robin frequenting one of the evergreens outside our front living room window. I kept an eye on her throughout the day and was pleased to see that she came by again on Monday. And, indeed, Tuesday (today) proved to be an exciting day as she began to build her nest.

I was able to get a few pictures of her hard at work. The first of the photos was taken around 7a.m. this morning, and the last was taken at approximately 11 a.m. (All of the pictures were taken from the inside of the house, through a window, hence the blurriness around the edges.) The male stopped by occasionally, too, but primarily he seemed to be "standing guard" and making sure that the blackbirds didn't get too close to his beloved mate.

Here is the beginning of her nest:


here is the second photo:


in the third picture, she appears to be sorting things out a bit:


and here is the last picture, taken a mere 4 hours from the first photo:


This tiny bird is certainly an inspiration! I had no idea that robins could build their nests so quickly. It is interesting that the amount of time she took to select and to inspect the site took longer than the actual construction of the nest. (There has to be a moral in here somewhere, don't you think?)

I hope that you will follow along as I document the adventures of our newest neighbors.

Be well,
Kate

1 comment:

Elena Rosenberg (Tickled Pink Knits) said...

Kate, thanks so much for sharing! This is delightful, fascinating, and, indeed, thought-provoking! (P.S. I loved your discovery re: parakeets :))) )