Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Sneak a peek at what's on the loom

Hello, friends. My goodness, time flies! Spring & summer weddings are keeping me pretty busy. Rustic wedding decor is very popular right now, and I've been fortunate to work with some very nice young ladies lately. Forty-five yards of burlap came to the door last week.

The mug mats are finished and are off of the loom. I've got a new warp on there right now, and I am delighted with how things are shaping up. Here is a sneak peek!


This past week has issued another challenge for me as I have been learning to adapt to my new bifocal eyeglasses. Alas! It was definitely time for this change, but it has forced me to "retrain" some of my habits.

There has been a bit of turmoil within the Etsy community lately about what/who constitutes "handmade work." While I haven't been terribly involved with the discussion, I did change my shop's avatar in an effort to demonstrate "handmade work." Most of my Etsy neighbors who are participating in the avatar change show lovely photographs of their hands. Here is my spin on the avatar "show your hands" challenge:


My feet! Treadling the loom. Handmade AND footmade. :)

Be well,
Kate

4 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

The red summer and winter project looks beautiful! Love your sneakers, they are so cute! I cannot wear shoes or slippers when treadling - have to either have bare feet or socks on so that I can feel the treadles. Haven't paid any attention to the etsy convos about handmade, guess I should find the time to read a few and figure out what is going on. By the way have you woven any acorn stuff yet...just sayin' ;-)

Judith said...

or how about a oicture of threading heddles!!! Love your work. Weaving on the Canadian Westcoast...

Judith said...

speaking of bi focals..that should have read Picture not oicture!
I had the eye doctor make me a pair
of glasses for weaving with just the reading part of my bi focal prescription. Quite an improvement from weaving with just my bi focals.

Nutfield Weaver said...

Hello, ladies! Martha, my acorns are still on my wishlish! I love weaving rosepath patterns (who doesn't, I guess?) Judith, I like your idea about the "weaving only" glasses. The new glasses feel heavy right now. :(