Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Baby bibs and a guessing game

Hello, friends. I was thinking the other day how grateful I am that my mother took the time out of many of her days to show me how to sew. I remember the first "big" project that I made -- a yellow & blue flowered short sleeved shirt. There were no buttons & there was nothing too complicated about the pattern (probably 4 pieces all told), but there was some trim around the neck and sleeves. I wore it with extreme pride! I think I was 10 years old, maybe 11.

Knowing how to sew came in extremely handy the other day when I felt compelled to produce a baby gift for a family member on rather short notice. A few basic search inquiries led me to a couple of good sewing patterns which I sort of merged together to make my own set of baby bibs. A healthy fabric stash is also helpful in instances such as these! Here's what I came up with:


I have been thinking about new ways to use my handwoven fabrics. With the holiday gift-giving season less than (gasp!) six months away, those of us who embrace "handmade" can never really start thinking too soon about these things. I've been doodling and sketching while waiting for our son, Andrew, to finish his 9 holes at the golf course. Here's a teaser:



Can you guess at what these are? I can't wait for the postman to deliver them!
Be well,
Kate

4 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, the baby bibs are adorable! I too learned to sew at my Mother's elbow when I was very young - I believe 5 or 6. Santa brought me a childs Singer sewing machine that sewed actual chain stiches. Once I started sewing doll clothes with that machine I was hooked forever. Sewing is a skill that I have fallen back on many many times and still enjoy to this day.

Love the purse closures, I am guessing that you are going to use your handwoven to make change purses. I have no clue how you attach the hardware part to the fabric part, this should be interesting.

All my baby robins and barn swallows are fledged and gone from the many nests here on the homestead. So fun to watch them learn to fly and fend for themselves isn't it.

Happy Weaving!

Nutfield Weaver said...

Hi, Martha! Yes, I'm going to give change purses a try. I opted for the sew in frames because I don't get along with glue very well. I miss our baby robins in the nest but they are still poking around the front yard and, fortunately for them, have avoided Mr. Hawk and Ms. Fisher Cat so far!Happy weaving, to you, too, Martha! :)

Elena Rosenberg (Tickled Pink Knits) said...

Kate, can't wait to see how the purses come out! Have you considered clutches or roll-up jewelry pouches?

Sewing and I never progressed from acquintances to best or even good friends, not machine-sewing anyway. Though I really haven't tried my hand at it since I was about 11 :) Just distinctly remember not being fond of it back then. I've always loved playing with yarn and my hands or needles, though - macrame, knitting, crochet.

Love the bibs, especially the blue one!

Nutfield Weaver said...

Hi, Elena! I have a few clutch frames on hand but want to start small, with the coin purses. And you could certainly make friends with a new sewing machine -- they are so different now! Very slick models out there and easy to tame. I like macrame, too -- my grandfather taught me how to do it -- lots of plant hangers! Happy knitting, Elena! Kate :)