Sunday, June 3, 2012

Handwovens in action

Hello, friends. I've found that one of the nicest rewards as an artisan is receiving a photograph or two of a Nutfield Weaver item in its new home. Brides frequently forward me photos of their pew cones, and just recently I received a photo of one of my table runners:


This table runner is a "summer & winter" pattern and features red and ivory cottons. It looks quite at home in this lovely, traditional dining room, don't you think?

After receiving an invitation to exhibit at an historic farm in Massachusetts this September, I got to thinking about taking steps to "define" my handwoven items. To start, I'm mulling over color choices. There are several signature pieces that I'll continue to weave, but weaving "one of everything in every color" is getting to be a bit impractical.

Red, sage, and colonial blue are in my top three spots for now, at least for table runners. I'd love to hear your thoughts! What are your favorite colors for housewares?

Have a lovely weekend!
Be well,
Kate

6 comments:

heatherabarrick said...

a splash sunny yellow goes with anything and makes everyone happy. boring old beige or tan for people afraid of color will always sell. good luck

Nutfield Weaver said...

I think you're right about yellow - it does have a way of adding a bit of cheerfulness. Thanks for your advice! Be well, Kate

Judith said...

At our recent Guild Sale we sold out of all tea towels in purple. Who would have thought!!!

Judith said...

At our recent Guild Sale we sold out of all tea towels in purple. Who would have thought!!!

Nutfield Weaver said...

Purple! I love it, Judith! Lavender, grape, plum -- they're all wonderful, aren't they? Goodness, this is going to be more difficult than I thought...How to choose?! Be well, Kate

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, I have always liked your Robin egg blue items - they are cheerful and make me think of spring. Your idea of limiting your palate of colors is an interesting one and has me wondering what your final choices are going to be.