Sunday, September 16, 2012

Craft Fair on a Shoestring. Part 2. Signs & jewelry display idea.

Hello, friends. Some of my readers know that I have taken a rather bold leap into the artisan show circuit this summer. I am learning the ins and outs of outdoor market vending. My second event was last weekend, and I took notes during Saturday and Sunday about how to tweak my booth for the next show. There were 2 things that I really wanted to fix.

1) Inexpensive tabletop signage.

Some of my customers weren't quite sure what my sachets and/or tissue holders were, and I was fortunate to have a couple of people who came right out and asked (made me wonder how many people DIDN'T ask for whatever reason). Some written explanation was in order! Not wishing to spend more money on my booth for this year, I came up with this visual aid/sign idea:


This is one a 1 lb. cone of cotton weaving yarn. I used a scrap of cardstock, cut it to around 3" x 4", and punched 2 small holes near the top. These Martha Stewart Home Office "chalkboard" stickers were picked up at Staples. They come in packages of 6 (or maybe 8, I can't remember). I wrote out a brief description for the item on the label. A length of the cotton yarn was threaded through the holes and into the body of the cone and knotted to stay in place. And here's the neat thing: the cone/sign does double duty as a visual aid ("What sort of yarn do you use?") AND a paperweight! (Handy on windy days when you're outside!).

2) Simple, inexpensive jewelry display.

I had my few pieces of handwoven fabric jewelry (earrings & brooches) flat on the table last weekend. For future events, I wanted to have my pieces more visible to passers-by. Again, not wanting to dip into the piggy-bank, I used what I had on hand:


This is a 6" wooden embroidery hoop holding 18 count Aida cloth (for counted cross stitch). The cloth is just rigid enough to support the weight of the earrings. You could probably use a bigger or smaller hoop, depending on your needs. The French hooks on the earrings slip right through the holes in the cloth. Easy as pie!

So, that's all for now. I'm getting ready for a trip up to Concord on Saturday, September 22, for the  Concord Arts Market and hoping for sunny skies.

Be well,
Kate K.

No comments: