Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Warm kale & pine nut salad

Hello, friends. I have a new favorite lunch recipe that I'd like to share with you today. My physician has advised me (well, actually STRONGLY ADVISED) to increase my consumption of iron-rich foods. So I bought a big bag of kale at the market and have had my way with it. Here is a quick and easy iron-rich side dish for two or lunch for one:




Warm Kale & Pine Nut Salad
Ingredients
2 Tbsp. pine nuts
1 T. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2-3 cups kale, washed & chopped
1 navel orange, peeled & cut into bit-sized pieces
1/4 cup cheese (optional)
olive oil & balsamic vinegar for dressing

Get out your cast iron pan (more iron for you!) and toast the pine nuts. (This won't take long in a hot pan - keep an eye on your pine nuts or they will burn). When pine nuts are golden & toasted (about 2-3 minutes), remove from pan and set aside.

Put 1 T. olive oil into your cast iron pan. Saute the garlic. Then add the kale and stir fry it until it begins to wilt. (It cooks down quickly but doesn't disappear as much as, for example, spinach). Remove from heat.

Put the kale/garlic mixture on a plate and toss with pine nuts and navel orange pieces. Drizzle mixture with additional olive oil, balsamic, and salt and pepper. Add some crumbled cheese if you'd like. (I used some pieces of gouda goat cheese - YUM!).

Serve with some crusty bread.

You could probably use just about any sort of nut in the recipe - I think that almonds would be nice. If you follow a vegan diet or are lactose intolerant, you could omit the cheese. The vitamin C in the orange is supposed to help with iron absorption. And oranges just taste yummy and they pair well with kale.

Tonight I will be experimenting with a turkey sausage and kale soup. I'll let you know if it is kid-approved.
Be well,
Kate


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.