Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Handwoven lace and dark colored yarn. Discuss.

Hello, friends. I remember reading in a weaving journal that lace weaves look the best when using light colored yarn. While I tend to agree and do use ivories and pastels when weaving loom-controlled lace fabrics, I felt a bit rebellious about a year ago and wove a lace shawl using dark green mercerized cotton. You do have to "look" to see the diamond motif in the fabric, but I sort of like the subtle effect of the texture and the color. What do you think?


I think that the wrap would look smashing on St. Patrick's Day. :)

Aside from the shawl, I've been working on zigzag dishtowel fabric and tinkering around with some smaller items that can be carried to craft fairs. I hope to have a new handwoven coffee cup cozy ready before too long. More than a couple of folks who visited my booth last Fall noted that they were interested in small gifts for the gents in their lives (think office mates, brothers-in-laws, etc...). So, I hope that I can manage to fill this gap in 2013. (And keep my coffee nice and warm, too).

Be well,
Kate

3 comments:

Alicja said...

Kate, I totally agree with you - the shawl is very, very nice :)

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, the coffee cup cozy for men is a wonderful and clever idea! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

You will be the toast of the town on St Patrick's Day in your lovely green shawl. The huck lace shows up nicely.

Anonymous said...

simply dropping by to say hi