Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sewing adventures

Hello, friends. I hope that Spring is headed your way! We had a whopper of a blizzard a week ago and this week it is sunny and warm. Well, warm for the Granite State - it was 50 degrees yesterday!

The loom has been in steady use this month. I've completed custom orders for zigzag towels, placemats, pillow covers, and table runners. Here are two photos:





I've also taken on a pet project. When time permits, I am working to improve my sewing skills. My husband got me a fantastic sewing machine several years ago, a Janome Memory Craft 4800 Quilter's Companion, and I realized that I was really not making the most of the features that are available to me. Nancy Zieman's Sewing A to Z  manual is my guide!


With the help of the Janome manual, Nancy Zieman's book (and her public television videos, "Sewing with Nancy," which are available online!), and several excellent sewing blogs, I've worked on the following:

* sewing with knits
* using a twin needle
* using clear elastic
* overcast stitching
* decorative hems
* pattern drafting

On tap today: French seams! I will let you know how it goes.

Be well,
Kate

4 comments:

sarah diama said...

Hello! I've been reading your blog for awhile now and enjoying it! I am a sewer turned weaver, and think Nancy's book is a great place to start, and have fun with French seams, I love them! they are simple and make your product so finished :)
Love what's coming off your loom!

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, love the red placemats!

There are many sewing manuals available and you tube has a ton of videos for you to watch if you get stuck. I would be more than happy to help you, been sewing for over 35 years both at home and at work.

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thank you, Sarah! I love Nancy Zieman's book - it is a great resource. And the French seams turned out just fine! Cheers! -Kate

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thank you, Martha! I haven't visited YouTube yet but will definitely keep this in mind. My husband managed to fix our broken dryer with the assistance of a YouTube video! Happy weaving! -Kate