Sunday, June 23, 2013

Handbag fabrics

Hello, friends. Some new fabrics are underway this week. The loom is warped for herringbone twill and one of its derivatives. I am really pleased with how things are shaping up. Here is a look:



The red mercerized cotton is waiting in line to be used next for the weft. I like both of the designs and can't say that I prefer one over the other. The herringbone twill is easier to weave with just a 4 step treadling pattern (photo 2); the top photo has a 16 step treadling pattern.

In either case, I think that a clean, simple handbag design will work for either fabric. I have kiss clasp frames in a couple of different sizes and my trusty drawstring bag design, too. An envelope-style clutch is something I'm considering, which brings me to my next question: what sort of handbag do you prefer to carry? Or, conversely, is there are style that you absolutely would NEVER tote around? Just curious to know!

Be well,
Kate

3 comments:

heather said...

since you asked...i like a clasp style coin purse similar to what ive seen on your blog,but i like a pocket on the side so i can slip my debit or credit card into it for easy access. As for handbags, i usually go for a shallow market bag style with only the one compartment so i can toss in my handwork or kindle or lunch etc. i prefer them to hold their shape when i set them down so i can see inside easily. my mother, on the other hand likes lots of compartments and zipper pockets to stash all of her necessities. hope this helps your research :)

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thank you for your insights, Heather, they were very helpful! I like the clasp style as well -- and your pocket idea for small items is brilliant. So many options out there! I wonder if anyone has ever designed THE perfect handbag? Cheers!

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, love the clean fresh looking twills. I agree with you they are perfect for your purse project. The kiss clasp change purse with a small pocket is a great idea and will sell well.

Not sure if the perfect purse is out there, but if you figure it out please let me know!