Monday, June 10, 2013

Lingerie sewing

Hello, friends. I've been weaving steadily these days but when time allows and if I need a change of pace, I like to indulge in lingerie making. I still consider myself a novice at this stage, but have learned a lot and have found a few pattern designers that I tend to revisit. Here is one designer that I am particularly fond of and one that you may not know about!

Ohhh Lulu sells her hand-drafted sewing patterns, as well as ready-to-wear lingerie, on Etsy as well as other sites. I recently purchased the "Jasmine" soft bra sewing pattern. (The pattern files are digitized and you can print the pattern right from your own comptuer). The instructions are pretty easy to follow, but it is helpful to know some lingerie sewing basics (i.e. attaching elastic bands and putting together a ring/slider strap). Having some confidence sewing with knits is also beneficial. Here is my first "Jasmine" soft bra:



I used white stretch lace for the shell fabric and lined with single knit cotton jersey, also white. Fold over elastic is used on the top band, and I put on a handmade ribbonwork violet, just for fun. I'm looking forward to making another version, maybe with some floral jersey cotton knit that is languishing in my stash.

Do visit Ohhh Lulu and take a peek at Sarah's lovely lingerie & sewing patterns!

We're getting rain here in New Hampshire - lots of it. Flood warnings are in effect! Yikes! It will be a good day to stay indoors tomorrow and weave. Or sew. :)

Be well,
Kate K.

No comments: