Monday, July 15, 2013

Artisan show reflections

Hello, friends. It was great fun to exhibit my work in Concord this past Saturday with Portsmouth watercolorist, Amy Brnger. The weather cooperated and people seemed to enjoy having the opportunity to mill about without having to tote umbrellas. Here is a photo of our stall:


It was a slow day for me in terms of actual sales, but I did have the opportunity to strike up some conversations with very nice people. Several people inquired about whether I teach weaving (I do not at this point). It seems that at nearly every public event there are at least 2-3 people who aspire to become weavers. I have given teaching some consideration, but at this point I am not sure that it would be feasible for me since I do not have a second studio loom or a good place to put it. But it is good food for thought.

It is also interesting to take note of what fabrics/colors seem to draw the most attention. My red and cobalt blue items were spotted most often, and I received several comments on the fabrics for my clutch handbags:


My next event will take in September, when I participate in the Londonderry Apple Tree Craft Fair (see my 2013 exhibits page for more information). This will be my second year exhibiting there, and I am really looking forward to it.

On tap for this week are custom kitchen textiles for a very nice gentleman who has recently renovated his Boston home. And I hope to work out a pattern for a simple foldover clutch with a zip top. I think that a simple bag will work well with handwoven fabrics. I envision something a bit more casual with the foldover clutch style. Perfect for everyday. :)

Be well,
Kate

No comments: