Thursday, August 1, 2013

Easy refrigerator pickles

Hello, friends. I returned from vacation on Tuesday night and found a garden full of snap beans, peppers, cucumbers, and beets. How wonderful! I've done some canning (hot pepper pickle mix and pickled beets) and freezing. I didn't have enough cucumbers ready to make a full batch of bread and butter pickles. There were 3 Suyo Long cukes ready to be picked on our trellis. I have adapted a recipe in a rather old book, "Farm Journal's Best-Ever Vegetable Recipes," published in 1984, for "Cucumber Refrigerator Pickles." I tweaked the recipe a bit (mostly to reduce the sugar content), and I will share it here.

Easy Refrigerator Pickles
Ingredients
1 lb. cukes (I had 3 regularly sized cukes that weighed 1.25 lbs. - I used 2 1/2 of the cukes for the batch)
1 c. white vinegar
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 chopped fresh dill (use fresh if you have it - the color is so pretty)
1 t. whole black peppercorns
2 cloves garlic, sliced.

In a clean 1 pint jar with a lid, place cuke slices (Hint: use a mandolin if you have one. Slicing is a snap but be careful of your fingers). In a large 2 or 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup, stir up the rest of the ingredients. Pour over the cukes in the jar. Cover and refrigerate.

Gently shake/invert the jar once a day for 3 days. This allows the flavors to develop and your cukes will become more pickle-y. Store in the refrigerator.

These are yummy and sweet. I've made them before with serrano (hot) peppers in the jar, too.

Here are the pickles I made today. I used one of those 1 1/2 pint jars for these - they're such a convenient size and sometimes hard to come by. The beets are there, too - I love the color of beets!



I'm weaving kitchen textiles this week and working on decorations for 3 weddings. So, I am busy. And the garden keeps me hopping.

Be well,
Kate K.

No comments: