Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Trivets & towels

Hello, friends. I hope that your August has been a pleasant one. Our garden is keeping me busy! Peppers have done particularly well this year.

In addition to gardening and preserving and getting the boys ready for another year of school, I have been weaving dishtowels and trivets. I just finished a very long warp (well, for me it is a long warp) of dishtowel fabric in colonial blue and cream. Twelve of these pretties are heading down to Boston for a client who has refurbished his kitchen:


The towels are ready to be hemmed. I have a couple of extra towels, too, and I will be taking those to the Apple Country Craft Fair here in Londonderry on September 7 & 8.

After weaving with finer threads for a long while I like to mix things up with a more robust weft. Yesterday I prepared calico fabric for weaving:


The colors here are beige with lavender, pale green, and robins egg blue with a spot of red. The robins egg blue is a personal favorite:


I plan to machine stitch the hems and include a crocheted hanging loop at one end of each of these soon-to-be-trivets. I think that this trivet would be the perfect mate for a teapot, don't you think?

Be well,
Kate

1 comment:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Oh those trivets are going to be cute as a bug in a rug! You are right they will go perfectly with a tea pot. Love the fabric choices especially the little red spots of color. Cute!