Thursday, September 19, 2013

I am a messy weaver

Hello, friends. I have a confession to make: I am a sloppy weaver. This is not to say that I accept wobbly selvedges or tolerate mistakes in a treadling pattern. I mean this:


The floor underneath my loom is littered with snipped choke ties from warp chains and leftover waste threads from the front beam. (My weaving bench is worse, and the top shelf/castle is no better. But I didn't want to shock you so only took one photograph of my untidy work area).

So I've decided to turn over a new leaf. My work area is small, and I didn't want another plastic garbage can in the house. So I made a little thread catcher for my loom today:


Isn't it cute? I used a medium-weight cotton so that I didn't need to stabilize with interfacing. It is lined, too. I added the red plaid ribbon bow on the front just for fun and love having an excuse to use the decorative stitching options on my sewing machine. Why the ribbon ties to secure the pouch? Well, it seemed easier than messing with buttons or hook/loop tape. Untying the pouch and dumping the contents (NOT on the floor!) can be done even while there is fabric on the loom, which seemed like a desirable feature.

What do my weaving friends think? What are your suggestions for keeping your work area free from clutter?

Here's to a future of tidy floors. At least by the loom.
Be well,
Kate

8 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Oh Kate, i just love your new thread catcher! Anytime you want to send one my way I have the perfect place to keep it on my loom.

Nutfield Weaver said...

Martha, I would be delighted to make one for you! What color ribbon would you like? Kate ;)

Emily McCumber said...

Such a great idea! I'm bad for this too. I'll have to rig something ups thanks for the idea!

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, you are wonderful! Tartan please! Send me the bill via paypal!

Black Smith said...

Very well explained. I would like to say that it is very interesting to read your blog.

Hollow wear Utensils | Veterinary instruments
Surgery Sets

Sarah Kim said...

Short, sweet, and a proper use of an infographic! I actually get something USEFUL from it.

Leathers Athlete

Sarah Kim said...

Short, sweet, and a proper use of an infographic! I actually get something USEFUL from it.

Leathers Athlete

Sophie Dicaprio said...

I’m really amazed with your posting skills as well as with the layout on your blog site. Is this a paid style or did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the pleasant quality writing, it is rare to see a great site such as this one these days.
Fido Markets