Thursday, October 24, 2013

Weavers, what do you do with a bit of left over warp?

Hello, friends. Lots of projects going on here at Nutfield Weaver. I finished weaving three silk and merino ladies' scarves this week as well as a table runner. The table runner is a long version of this one here; it will be used at the head table for a wedding reception in Florida.


I had a bit of warp left over from the scarves and also from the table runner. I used to try to squeeze usable items out of small amount of warp. (I have some "dish towels" and "table napkins" that have very atypical measurements). These days I've been using leftover warp to experiment with treadling patterns and new cloth options. Here is an example of a treadling design that I played around with recently (warp is an 8 shaft point twill):


And below is a brief adventure with hopsack on a straight twill warp:


The hopsack seems to be a  fabric that doesn't have much drape -- but this might be an asset depending on the intended purpose of the finished piece. While it is true that I did not weave a whole lot of hopsack, the sampling did give me an idea of what the end result might be. In any event, I think I learned a little bit about a new fabric structure before venturing into a brand new project using this pattern. And there is something to be said for that...

So, weaving friends, what do you do with your leftover warp? It is hard to throw it away entirely!
Be well,
Kate

2 comments:

Karen Reff said...

I range all over the spectrum. I have been know to cut it off, play with other colors, try out other treadlings, change tie-up, or let someone else sit and work at my loom. But mostly I keep weaving same pattern and end up with those odd sized items you mentioned.

Nutfield Weaver said...

Karen, it is so nice to know that I am not the only one with oddly sized handwoven items -- it is hard to discard warp! I like your idea of having someone else work at the loom -- it must yield some interesting results! Thanks! Happy weaving.