Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Barclay Hunting Tartan & a new tool for Nutfield Weaver

Hello, friends.

I am really excited about a new purchase that I made recently to help me with drafting and pattern organizing. I am the proud owner of "Fiberworks" weaving software, Bronze edition. Woo hoo!

It will take some time to work through the user manual and to understand more of what the software program allows one to do. But so far, I am really pleased with the drafting ability (my version allows designs up to 8 shafts), color variations, and especially the "notes" page that is available for each design. (I use the notes to indicate length of warp, yarn sources, width of warp in the reed, etc...).

Here's a photo of my latest design for a gentleman's scarf in Barclay Hunting tartan:



It is a really nifty piece of software! I am determined to eliminate the loose sheets of paper that are filled with doodles and numbers and cluttering up my desk. In truth, I'm still using graph paper and colored pencils to start working on a design; the software program is helping to keep these drawings organized and, hopefully, permanently accessible.

I am looking forward to starting on the gentleman's scarves using the Barclay Hunting tartan design. I've ordered some alpaca/silk blend yarns for the project.

Do any of my weaving friends use weaving software? If so, please consider offering any insights that you have in the "comments" section below!

Be well,
Kate



4 comments:

Hilary said...

Do you have a computerized loom?

Nutfield Weaver said...

Hello, Hilary. No, I do not have a computerized loom. My loom is a LeClerc Nilus II with 8 shafts. I'm liking the software program for designing advancing twill patterns. Fiberworks has software for computerized looms, but I don't know much about it.

Flyin Bobbin said...

Not related to your post---just wanted to tell you that I thought of you today when I made your Nantucket cranberry pie recipe. I put it into a 9" square pan as it is very coffee cakeish and I will be serving it tomorrow in the morning as such. Delicous and easy. Thanks!

Nutfield Weaver said...

So glad to hear that you enjoyed the "Nantucket Cranberry Pie" recipe, Flyin Bobbin! Happy Thanksgiving! Be well, kate K.