Friday, January 24, 2014

Brooks bouquet and huck lace

Hello, friends. Happy Friday to you.

I made a promise to myself to "keep learning" and to try new weaving techniques this year. We're a few weeks into 2014 but I did add something new to my weaving repetoire this week: Brooks bouquet.

My handweaving friends are probably very familiar with this technique but it was new for me. What is Brooks bouquet? Well, in layperson's terms, it is a way to make a lacy design in your handwoven fabric by just using a shuttle and weft thread. Here's a photo of what it looks like:


 The row of little "windows" is Brooks bouquet. There is a really good explanation of how to accomplish this effect on the Schacht Spindle blog. This is a nice technique that is also workable on a rigid heddle loom, from what I understand.

I designed the runner below to combine both weaver controlled lace (Brooks bouquet) and loom controlled huck lace. This runner is made from 5/2 mercerized cotton in ivory and might be more suited to dressing up a bureau or antique chest. It is sturdy but a lot of machine-washing might tax the open weave a bit. So, to be on the safe side, I'd probably handwash this piece or at least secure it in a lingerie bag if it finds its way into a washing machine. Here's a look at the runner when finished (confession: the runner was still damp after wet finishing when I took the photo!):


After I finish with a few more lace runners on this warp, the next project is ready to go. I'm going to take a stab at turned monk's belt. Such an adventure! I'm really excited about it.

Have a happy weekend, friends.
Be well,
Kate

3 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Very pretty combination Kate. I love Monk's belt it is a lot of fun to weave, hope you like it to.

Flyin Bobbin said...

I love the lace idea. I think that it will be something to look into in the coming months. Thanks for the inspirations!

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thank you, Thistle Rose Weaving & Flyin Bobbin! I enjoyed the Brooks bouquet technique and think I will be finding more ways to use it in the future. It's a pretty but subtle embellishment. Happy weaving!