Monday, January 20, 2014

Diamond huck lace

Hello, friends. Happy Monday to you.

The loom has been clanking away. I finished up some scarves in alpaca/silk and am now working on a table runner for a returning customer. The yarn is a lovely cayenne/paprika orange and the pattern is a six shaft huck lace treadled and threaded to create diamond shapes that are repeated throughout the cloth. Here's a close-up of the fabric:


It is coming along nicely. I plan to weave some additional table runners in ivory that are in this huck lace family after this piece is finished. I might try a different treadling pattern or two.

I've spent a lot of time trying to discern how to fulfill the requirements for the HGA "Certificate of Excellence" Level I and still manage to:
 a) weave for my customers and for my shop/shows
b) have time to work in my garden 
c) cook dinner for my family
d) sleep at least a few hours every night
e) read the occasional novel

So I've put this project on the back burner for a while. It was good to read through the curriculum, though, as it gave me a lot of food for thought and confirmed that really, after many years of weaving, I've got loads (BUCKET LOADS!) to learn.

Instead of the COE program, I've given serious thought to signing up for a jurying session with the League of NH Craftsmen within the calendar year. I like the idea of having the opportunity to meet the weavers who are jurors and also like the idea of (hopefully) being part of a regionally-based organization. So far I have organized my thoughts and have considered what sort of pieces would comprise a representative body of work. I will keep you posted!

Here is one more photo of a recent piece and then I'll be signing off to get dinner sorted.


Be well,
Kate

No comments: