Thursday, January 9, 2014

Hello, 2014

Hello, friends. Happy New Year to you. I've been neglecting my blog lately and was beginning to miss chatting about my latest projects and ideas.

Earlier this week I finished a rather sizable custom request for a good friends of mine in Iowa. Included in her order was a candy apple red and white plaid table runner, some dishcloths, and a set of white table napkins. Here is one of the table napkins from her set of 10:


I love weaving the table napkins; lace borders really dress up an item without being overly fussy.

Some dishcloths are ready for hemming and then these will be headed off to Missouri. They'll look like this:


There are a few more custom requests in the queue, and then I need to work on some dishtowels. I try to keep a reasonable supply of towels ready to ship but alas, my stock is a bit low. I'm going to try some solid colors in waffleweave (red and colonial blue) and then will work up some more farmhouse plaid towels.

In addition to working on custom requests, I've been doing a lot of reading and am trying to decide which techniques I want to learn this year. My ideas keep changing -- last month I was all excited about diversified plain weave. Now I'm keen on learning about weaving with a supplementary warp and weaving more with wool.

I guess the upside of all of this is that there is always something new to learn and getting bored with weaving is inconceivable!

Oh, and the gardening bug has hit. Hard. I am growing some rather anemic looking arugula seeds in a styrofoam box to try to sustain me until I can begin seed starting in earnest. It is a bit early for us yet, here in balmy Zone 5b, but in about 6 weeks I'll be up to my elbows in dirt -- at least indoors. Pure bliss.

Be well,
Kate

2 comments:

Cindie said...

The napkin is so elegant - beautiful.

I don't think we'll ever run out of weaving related things to learn - so fun for me even after 28 years.

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thank you, Cindie! There's always something to learn, you are so right. I just wish there were more hours in the day so that it could all be squeezed in. Cheers! :)