Thursday, January 16, 2014

Tartan shawl from Thistle Rose Weaving

Hello, friends. My wonderful husband presented me with a most thoughtful and beautiful gift this Christmas. He has heard me mention and has read some of my blog posts that highlight the handweaving of my friend, Martha Witcher (Metamora, Illinois) over the course of the past few years. Martha is the creative and talented force behind Thistle Rose Weaving.


Everything about this handwoven piece is exquisite. The yarn is lovely (and very, very fine) and the colors are rich and vibrant. The weaving is superb: edges are neat, beat is even throughout the entire piece, fringe is carefully done, hemstitching is perfect, the plaid design is even and without a flaw. And best of all, it just feels wonderful - as if Martha is here to wrap me in a big, warm hug even though she lives many, many miles from New Hampshire!

The handweaving community is such a friendly one, isn't it? It is wonderful to be a part of it. Stop in at Martha's shop or her blog, Thistle Rose Handweaving, and take a peek at her latest projects and her cozy home-based studio.

And, of course, a special thanks to my wonderful and supportive husband, Don, who made Christmas day so special. Life is good.

Be well,
Kate

3 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, I am so pleased that you are enjoying your tartan! The Scottish wool was a delight to work with, someday I hope to weave with it again. I am sending lots of warm hugs to you in cold wintery NH.

HRT said...

That is one serious piece of weaving. Love it!

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thank you, Martha! The shawl is perfect. And yes, HRT, it is one serious piece of weaving! Cheers, Kate K.