Thursday, February 6, 2014

New handwoven kitchen tea towels

Hello, friends. We received MORE snow yesterday but my thoughts continue to dwell on warmer and sunnier days which are most surely ahead of us. While perusing my February blog posts from previous years, I noted a tendency to weave with bright colors that evoke Spring. This year is no different!

Sage green kitchen towel with lace border

As many of you know I really love lace weaves so I decided to design a sturdy kitchen towel with just a hint of delicate lace. There are two rows of Brooks bouquet (see my blog post from January to read more about this weaver-controlled accent) and a band of huck lace on this towel. I was really surprised at how much the Brooks bouquet rows draw in after wet-finishing (you have to zoom in on the photo to see the characteristic "windows") but given the intended use of this handwoven piece, this is not such a bad thing (read: fewer snags on fork tines and the like).

The loom has a warp of robins egg blue on it right now for sister towels in this lovely Springtime color:

Robins egg blue lace dishtowel on the loom


I did a Q & A on my facebook fan page and asked my lovely followers what colors they like to use in their kitchens. The answers were varied, but there were some colors that appealed to many readers: red, colonial blue, sage green, yellow, and "crisp" white. I'm using their input to help me create new kitchen textiles such as the ones photographed above. 

So here's to Spring, which will be most welcome this year!
Be well,
Kate K.

2 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, the sage green towel is wonderfully spring like. Love it!

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thank you, Martha! I hope you are enjoying Thistle & Rose these days. I'm going to go check out your blog now. Cheers! kate :)