Thursday, May 22, 2014

It's May already?!

Hello, friends. Well. Where to begin. The garden is growing like mad. We had a few casualties in the yard, including my favorite butterfly bush and a magnolia. It was a hard winter. I plan to set the tomatoes and flowers in the ground this weekend; they have been staying out all night this week and seem to be managing the transition from cozy sunroom to the great outdoors just fine. Our youngest is in the middle of baseball season, so we spend a lot of time at the high school ball park.

My first outdoor show took place on May 17th right here in Londonderry, New Hampshire, and it was great fun. I always load up my vehicle the day prior to a show and this time I was very lucky to have a helper:



 Yes, this is our beloved Norwegian Elkhound, Ingrid, who at nearly 11 years old, decided to hop up into the back of our vehicle, which entailed no small amount of effort, as you might deduce.

It was the first time my husband and I had ever had to set up shop in the rain, but the skies cleared by late morning and people ventured out of doors. Here's a photo of my booth:

                                    
I brought a few new items with me for the show, including my huck lace / Brooks bouquet towels (the colonial blue was my best seller) and lace dress hangers.



The loom has been busy. I am in the middle of working on some custom requests right now - dishtowels and dishcloths. While these items don't use fancy yarns or complicated weaving structures, I still find great enjoyment in knowing that the finished items will be used - and reused! I really like having "old favorites" to weave:



What about you? What are some of your tried and true weaving projects or patterns that always seem to find their way back onto the loom? Do share.

In the meantime, have a happy weekend, wherever you are.
Be well,
Kate



2 comments:

Anne Miller said...

Hiya
I personally love the simple, tried and true weaves. Your weaving is elegant, understated and doesn't have a 'trying too hard' look about it.
There is a simple structure I do love though and fall back on it time and time again: Ms and Os. It looks fabulous in one colour, or multiple colours and you can play around with bock sizes, or alternating weft colours, for different effects.

Nutfield Weaver said...

Thank you very much, Anne Miller! Ms and Os -- a pattern I have not worked on very much but your endorsement has me intrigued! There is always something new to consider! How great is that? Cheers, Kate