Monday, September 15, 2014

Hello, September

Hello, friends. With temperatures in the thirties this morning and my vegetable and flower gardens suffering from a serious case of the shaggies, there is a definite sense of fall in the air. I was pleased to issue in the season last weekend at the Apple Country Craft Fair here in Londonderry, where I sold my wares along with many other New Hampshire artisans and crafters. This year I was very happy to bring "Bug" along with me for demonstration purposes!


My booth at the Apple Country Craft Fair, Londonderry, NH

With the craft fair behind me, I am focusing on preparing for my jury session with the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen. The jury session will take place in late October. I'm to bring between 6-10 handwoven pieces with me for the panel to review. I will keep you posted!

With the advent of cooler temperatures and some upcoming exhibiting opportunities on my calendar, I have been working on some winter wearables. Here is my latest ladies' scarf, woven from a lovely alpaca and silk weaver's yarn. I kept this piece simple: just one color (this is a silver grey) and included regularly spaced lace squares throughout the scarf. I dabbled with a two color design (a sort of windowpane plaid that surrounded the lace squares) but didn't like the result (the scarf was reminiscent of a picnic blanket). Here's the scarf:


I'm thinking about another scarf using this pattern made from a raspberry pink -- a bold color for my otherwise subtle palette, but I figure it is good to keep things fresh, right?

Be well,
Kate K. 

2 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, your booth is super, love how you displayed everything and Bug fits right in ;-)

No worries, you will be accepted into the NH group with flying colors, I will be rooting for you.

Love the new scarf and think your idea of a lovely raspberry color for the next scarf is perfect.

Kate Kilgus said...

Thank you, Martha! It was 90 degrees the first day of the craft show. I was glad that Don took photos before my hair started to melt onto my forehead! Happy weaving! -- Kate K.