Monday, December 15, 2014

A new bookmark pattern draft!

Hello, friends. The holidays are upon us and in case any of my weaving friends are interested in a smashing project that (I PROMISE) won't take up too much time or precious yarn, I have a nice gift idea for you. Here is a peek at what awaits your friends and family!


Nice, right? The draft is loaded up here on this blog post as a picture file. But before you go and dash off to your yarn stash here is some general information:

1) This is an 8 shaft, 10 treadle design. If you have a 4 shaft loom, you can weave a very fine looking point twill similar to this but it won't be quite as intricate.

2) I used 10/2 mercerized cotton for warp and weft. You will need fewer than 80 ends to weave this project. I used black in the warp; ivory or white would also look nice.

3) I sett the threads at 24 epi (2 per dent in a 12 dent reed).

4) The weaving draft is coded for a jack-style loom.

5) You can adjust the sett to suit your prerences; if you use a sett of 24 ends per inch like I did, I found that a firm but light beat will help your pattern picks to stand out.

6) A 3 1/2 yard warp yielded 8 book marks; you might get more or less, depending on the amount of loom waste that is specific to your loom.

Here is the draft:


If you have any questions about the pattern, please drop me a note in the comments field right here. This pattern hasn't been "tech tested" by other weavers, but if I've omitted something, I'm sure that between the two of us we can hammer out the necessary details.

Happy weaving, friends!
Be well,
Kate K.


2 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Nice twill bookmarks, Kate! Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Cindie said...

Lovely bookmark Kate.