Friday, December 12, 2014

Why I will keep blogging

Hello, friends. I just cut off my final piece of weaving for gift-giving this morning and met with a lovely customer this morning who had requested a bespoke item. My next project will be a tartan ladie's shawl. I'm weaving this item for an exhibition at the League of NH Craftsmen gallery in Concord. It is a big project (for me) but the yarns are here and after a day or two off from the loom, I'm going to get going on the warp. The exhibit is in January.

Do you, dear readers, maintain a blog? Obviously I do, but one wonders sometimes if it is "worth" the time and energy involved. There are pictures to take and edit/resize and comments that sometimes need moderation and then there is the whole "what do I write about today" thing.

Well, I received a handwritten letter this week from a person who is not known to me. "Ann" wrote me a charming letter in which she shared her weaving story. Ann explained that she had been diagnosed with an illness and decided that she could a) feel sorry for herself or b) try something new. She decided to try handweaving and gathered up books and searched for blogs authored by weavers. Ann found my wee blog! And she shared with me that she wove a lace bookmark, which is a draft found here on my blog.



I was stunned by Ann's kindness in taking the time to pen a letter to me. I showed the letter to my husband and kids. It was so gratifying to know that I have been able to pass along a bit of what I have learned along the way - even via computer screen!

Ann's letter provided me with the resolve to do two things:

1) keep blogging about weaving
2) write more handwritten letters

Letter-writing is becoming a lost art, don't you think? While I love the convenience of email and text messaging, there is something really lovely about getting a letter in the mailbox and holding it in your hand to read it.

So long for now, friends, and happy blogging and weaving and letter-writing.
Be well,
Kate K. 

9 comments:

Lantanalane2 said...

Hello Nutfield Weaver,

I do keep a blog as well. However, I have fallen into posting more on Facebook where I update my Facebook garden page 3-4 times a week and yet only update my blog 3-4 times a year. Reading your post makes me realize though, that blogs really do hold a place in our tech world. I go to blog for ideas and instructions, so I should do better with my own!

I do love to receive letters and cards in the mail...but again have bhave fallen into the trap of texting and emailing. I need write more letters as well!

Very thoughtful post!

Sandy
Carolina Straw Bale

Hilary said...

I have been amazed by the wonderful people I have met via my blog, and the people I have touched with my discourse. That's one of the reasons I keep doing it.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I have a blog, too, and it is not a weaving or craft blog. I love the comments and email I receive, and the connections that I've made via my blog. I've "met" people from all around the world, and have collaborated with many of them on joint projects. It's this collaboration that keeps me going- especially knowing how much readers have helped me, as well as how much I have helped them. It never would have happened if I had not gone online and shared my ideas, projects and research with complete strangers. Including you, too, Kate!

Dianne said...

I understand what you say that blogging takes time. Many times I have wondered if its worth it and why am I doing it then I hear from someone that they enjoy reading my rambling and I'm encouraged to continue.
I do enjoy reading your blog and seeing photos of your wonderful creations and glad you will continue.

Sojourner Design said...

I keep a blog but am not a disciplined blogger. A goal is to transition my blog from one about my sheep and goat activities to one about fiber pursuits.

I enjoy your writings very much! It's nice to read about what someone not far from me is doing... I'm in Western MA.
Diane

Kate Kilgus said...

Thank you, everyone, for sharing your insightful words about blogging. Blogging is a lot like keeping a journal. This morning I'm working on a new draft for my fellow weavers; an eight-shaft twill bookmark. Hope to have it ready for sharing within a day or two so that you, too, might weave some bookmarks in time for the holidays! Cheers!
Kate K.

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, I had the pleasure of "meeting" you through Etsy and through that venue I found your great blog. I agree with Hilary, I too have met some wonderful weaving friends via blogs and always enjoy the discourse we have with each other. I send you warm wishes for a wonderful Holiday Season. Keep blogging!

Jensamom23 said...

As the daughter of Ann who wrote to you, I can attest to the fact that weaving did indeed keep her positivity last year and your blog played a part. I thank you.

Kate Kilgus said...

Jensamom23, it was so kind of you to add your comments here. I've just posted a new bookmark pattern today on the blog. Your mother's kindness toward me was so generous and it has inspired me to "pass it on." I thank you!