Wednesday, January 7, 2015

M and W twill scarves

Hello, friends. You may have read about some bookmarks that I made for gifts in December (or maybe you even wove some for yourself!). I received encouraging compliments on the wee bookmarks that I gave as Christmas presents, and so I decided to use the same pattern in a scarf. I selected my favorite alpaca/silk yarn for the warp and weft. Sett at 20 ends per inch, the pattern seems to respond nicely to this luxury blend of fibers:



There is a quite a bit of weaving left to do on this piece but despite the number of pattern picks required to generate the motif, the pattern is rhythmic. I'll be anxious to take the piece from the loom to see how it washes up.

Yesterday I took the tartan blue shawl up to the Craft Center in Concord, NH, which is the headquarters for the League of NH Craftsmen. The multi-media gallery exhibition will open January 9 and run through 20 March. Click here for driving directions and for a list of participants. I got to see a lot of the pieces that will be on display -- wonderful! Here's the lady's wrap that I made:


Time to get back to the loom! And I'm thinking about making some more bookmarks -- they're really a great way to try out a new design or pattern (in miniature, granted). "Bug," my small Harrisville studio loom, could use a new warp so maybe I'll work out something for her. By the way, weaving friends, do you really sample? I confess: I find it very hard to do so but the bookmark avenue is, for me, justifiable.

Be well,
Kate

2 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, your new shawl is just lovely. Sure wish I lived near by so I could see it in the exhibition.

I confess, I don't sample all that much but your idea for using bookmarks as your sample is a good one.

Happy New Year!

susancoyotesfan said...

Oh that scarf is amazing! I love how the pattern makes it appear as though there is shading from light to black in the design. I love my 4 shaft loom and haven't come nearly close to exhausting its potential but seeing stuff like this makes me long for 4 more shafts...