Thursday, January 22, 2015

Whig Rose from Davison

Hello, friends. I've woven a lot of scarves and shawls lately and decided to move onto some other projects for the short term. I purchased a copy of Marguerite Davison's book on four shaft patterns a couple of years ago and hadn't really used it. The "Whig Rose" design has always resonated with me and so I decided to give it a go:


I am using 10/2 mercerized cotton in the warp and tabby weft and a 3/2 mercerized cotton (colonial blue is shown here) for the pattern weft. It is coming along. It's pretty wide, so I'm not sure if it'll work well as a table runner or not. But I like the fabric and think it has potential for a lot of applications (pillow covers, in particular).

On Saturday I will be participating (rather last minute) in a local exhibit at the library. I'm taking a couple of scarves with me to display - one for the ladies and one for the gents. The organizers went to great trouble to line up musicians and lots of lovely visual art created by Londonderry residents. How fun! I'll take this new scarf with me:



An early December assessment of the contents of a couple of closets and many plastic storage boxes has led me to the conclusion that I really need to put the brakes on new yarn purchases. It has been almost two months and I have not purchased any new yarn! I'm going to make a concerted and determined effort to use what is on hand. Of course, if someone contacts me for a commission and desires a particular yarn or color, I will accommodate any such request. But until such an opportunity arises, I will try to work with what I have.

Happy weaving, friends.
Be well,
Kate

2 comments:

Ann said...

So pretty! I love it when you show things using 4 shafts...really gets this old brain working.

Kate Kilgus said...

Thank you, Ann! I love 4 shaft patterns! Overshot looks so complex and it is really amazing that these designs can be achieved on four shafts. Genius! Happy weaving! Be well, Kate :)