Thursday, March 19, 2015

Four shaft point twill bookmark pattern

Hello, friends. Happy-Almost-Spring. Nutfield Weaver's house is still surrounded by lots of snow but warmer days will show up eventually.

I participated in a small exhibit last Saturday and had a selection of bookmarks available for purchase. These colorful, small textile pretties gathered a lot of attention. From a weaver's point of view, these small projects are a nice way to try out a new pattern or to use up bits of yarn from your stash. Plus, they're really fun to weave! Here is a photo of one of the finished bookmarks:

Handwoven point twill bookmark in colonial blue and ivory


I used 10/2 mercerized cottons for both warp and weft. I sett the warp threads at 30 ends per inch (two per dent in a 15 dent reed). After leaving a weft "tail" for hemstitching, weave a few picks of tabby, about 7-8" of pattern, finish with a few picks of tabby, and complete hemstitching. A 3 1/2 yard warp yielded 10 bookmarks on my loom (a LeClerc Nilus II); a loom that doesn't generate as much loom waste might yield an extra bookmark or two for you.

Here is a photo of the draft that I created on my Fiberworks weaving software:

Weaving draft for a point twill bookmark
If you don't have 6 shafts available to you on  your loom, just omit the threading on shafts 1 and 2 and include floating selvedges.

Happy weaving, friends!
Be well,
Kate


6 comments:

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Very cute bookmarks, I am not surprised that they were a hit.

Ann said...

What a dear, dear lady you are! Thank you for posting a 4 shaft pattern. You anticipated each and every question I'd have had before I even had time to wonder about it. Not only are you a lovely weaver, you are indeed an excellent teacher. The pattern is lovely and I shall be making them soon, as you probably knew I would. Ah, and there is Thistle Rose in the comment section too...she is another of my inspirations :)

Thanks again Kate,
Ann
PS: You aren't going to believe this...I am hemming my 18th towel this morning. Tee hee, you created a monster with your last bookmarks!

Kate Kilgus said...

Thank you, Martha and Ann! I hope you enjoy the pattern draft. Ann, I appreciate your affirming comments about teaching skills. I am about to explore teaching as a real possibility. I plan to develop a basic curriculum over the next few weeks while I am convalescing. It will keep my mind occupied and will keep me "weaving" when I will be separated from the looms for a while! Be well, Kate K. :)

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate your plan to teach weaving is awesome, I look forward to hearing all about your plans. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Ann said...

Kate, just remember if you need a guinea pig to try your teaching out on, I am ready, willing and able. Tee hee...you know for a fact that I persevere :)
Ann

Kate Kilgus said...

Thank you, Ann! I bet we would work well together! :)