Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Scarves for the 82nd Annual NH Craftsmen's Fair

Hello, friends. It is summertime. How do I know? I know because the loom is sticky and the woodchuck has started to gorge himself on the vegetables in our garden. Yes, we have a fence. Yes, we have raised beds. Alas, the varmint is cagey and crafty and has managed to ravage the broccoli, kale, peas, spinach, and parsley.

And all the while, I'm trying to focus on weaving. I'm really excited to be weaving for my first NH Craftsmen's Summer Fair (Sunapee, New Hampshire). I have a dozen scarves to weave (3 different patterns/styles) plus the exhibition piece. (More on the exhibition piece in a future post). Here's my first scarf style:




I'm using mercerized cotton (5/2) in the warp and alpaca/silk for the weft. I've got several color variations on this scarf and will do a herringbone scarf and a shadow weave scarf. The shadow weave scarf will use no mercerized cotton, just the alpaca/silk blend.

The wool for the men's wool waistcoat arrived and I'm very excited about that.

Happy weaving. And if you have any woodchucks near your garden, do not underestimate their intelligence and determination. At least they don't have thumbs. Yet.

Be well, friends.
Kate

4 comments:

Dianne said...

Lovely work. I'm wondering what sett you use as the combination of cotton and alpaca silk wouldn't have any gripping effect. They must drape and feel define though.

Dianne said...

Devine. Grrr to autocorrect!

Kate Kilgus said...

Hi! I used a set of 20 epi. This twill has a lot of floats so I think it works well with a slippery yarn. I have a light beat. I like the way the mercerized cottons twists for the fringe, too. It washed up nicely. I like using alpaca silk in a warp, too - it makes a really light piece. Thanks for stopping in!

Thistle Rose Weaving said...

Kate, the scarf is just lovely! Looking forward to seeing them all and enjoying your talent.